Oxford Active runs Multi-Activity Holiday Camps based at schools in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties which have anything between 40 and 120 children aged 4-14 years attending each day. They are open Mondays to Fridays in most school holidays from 8.15am to 6.00pm.
The Camp Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management, organisation and operation of the holiday camp.
With the support of the Oxford Active Management Team, they will be leading a team of six to eighteen Activity Leaders and will need to have the confidence and authority to ensure everyone performs to the best of their ability, to help develop a good team spirit which will result in a well-organised, happy and welcoming atmosphere at the camp.
Duties will include
- With support from the Oxford Active management team and your Activity Leaders, devise and implement a fun programme of activities suitable for the age range of children attending the scheme and organise deployment of staff to deliver those activities
- Prepare and implement the daily staff rota, including lunch breaks, to ensure camp is staffed at all times with a safe and appropriate ratio of adults to children
- Ensure that all staff are familiar with the daily routine and are familiar with all relevant camp policies, procedures and risk assessments
- Conduct regular staff performance reviews.
Health and Safety
- Understand and implement the Ofsted requirements to be registered on the Early Years Register, and the Compulsory & Voluntary Childcare Registers
- Ensure that the correct records and paperwork are in place to keep children safe
- Administer first aid as appropriate
- As lead practitioner for safeguarding at the camp, understand Oxford Active’s safeguarding policy and ensure it is adhered to at all times/
Building Positive Relationship
- Ensure that staff build effective and strong relationships with children’s parents/carers and that they are given useful information at the beginning and end of each day
- Deal with parents’/carers’ enquiries and any complaints as necessary.
- Build effective and positive working relationships with the host school and their staff
You need to be:
- Must have at least 2 years’ experience of working in a supervisory position, ideally in a childcare or education based background
- An appropriate qualification (eg Playwork, Childcare or Sports Coaching) is desirable but not essential.
- Mature and responsible and a good communicator at all levels
- Co-operative, flexible, able to inspire and lead staff, and with a positive attitude to work
- Computer literate, familiar with word and excel and able to pick up new systems quickly
- Must know and understand Ofsted standards and the Early Years Foundation Stage framework.
- Must be prepared to attend regular in-house training as well as First Aid, Safeguarding and other relevant courses as necessary.
- All staff have to pass strict safeguarding checks including an enhanced DBS disclosure
- We prefer Managers to commit to most school holidays each year to give consistency of management to each Holiday Camp
- Work is available in school holidays only, but in Oxford this can be combined with working at one of our term time After School Clubs
- Pay is £100.00 per day, inclusive of holiday pay
- Hours are 8.00am to 6.00pm with break for lunch, although you may sometimes have to start earlier or work later
- Training will be provided in safeguarding, food hygiene and first aid and you can put yourself forward to learn other specialist activities, like fencing and kayaking.